The faculty was founded in 1973 with the creation of the faculty of Energy, automation of production processes and mechanics.
Since 1992, it has operated as the faculty of Automation and mechanics. By the decision of the Scientific Council of the Azerbaijan Industrial Institute, a new faculty of Mechanics was established on the basis of the faculty of Mechanics and automation in 1997. In 2002, the faculty of Mechanics was transformed into the faculty of Mechanics-mathematics, and in 2006, due to structural changes the faculty of Mechanics- mathematics was transformed into the faculty of Mathematics.
Currently, the dean of the faculty is Ph.D. docent Hasanova Khalida Sidgali gizi.
The faculty employs 5 professors, 16 associate professors, 10 head senior lecturers, 13 assistants, 4 senior laboratory assistants, 2 laboratory assistants, 1 head of the laboratory, 3 tutors and 1 operator are working in the faculty.
At present, 11 doctoral students on the Ph.D. program and 7 dissertation students on the doctor of sciences program , 2 doctoral students and 1 dissertor are working on scientific work.
Teaching is carried out in full-time form at the faculty. 649 students study at the bachelor"s level, and 44 people at the master"s level in 6 specialties.
There are 4 departments at the faculty:
- Mathematical analysis and theory of functions
- Differential equations and optimization
- Mathematics and its teaching methodology
Specialities at the master"s level:
- Mathematics teaching
- Mathematics and informatics teaching
Master"s degree specializations:
- Mathematical analysis
- Computational mathematics
- Differential equations
- Optimization and optimal management
- Methodology and methods of teaching mathematics
The main scientific-research directions of the faculty:
- Application issues of mathematical analysis
- Spectral theory of operators and inverse problems of spectral analysis
- Study of modeling, optimization and system dynamics issues of modular dynamic systems
- Study of optimal control issues for aggregated and distributed parameter systems
- Mathematical modeling of thermodynamic wave propagation issues in various visco-elastic media and their investigation
- Modeling and management of discrete systems
- Mathematics teaching methods and methodology
Mathematics faculty chairs and scientific research laboratories