A library is a sacred place and a source of culture, knowledge and intellect for people, nation and society.
The Azerbaijani people have always been distinguished by their high literary culture and known for their rich libraries.
As stipulated in the Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan “On the library activity”, a library is a social institution where printed works and other information sources are collected and preserved, and which serves for the development of society, as well as its intellectual and moral potential.
A library that started operating as a branch of Oil and Chemistry Institute named after M.Azizbayov in 1966, and operated as a library of Azerbaijan Industrial Institute since 1975 and as a library of Sumgayit State University (SSU) since 2000 was named the Scientific library by the decision of the meeting of the Scientific Council of SSU dated February 28, 2014.
a) The Scientific library is one of the leading structural divisions of the higher education institution and a center for spreading moral and intellectual relations, which trains and teaches scientific and research processes, provides the university with the academic and methodical literature, as well as information materials, and which promotes knowledge.
b) The library is guided by the Constitution of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan “On education”, the law “On the library activity”, state and government documents, orders, decrees and regulations of the Ministry of Education, as well as orders and decrees of the university.
1) to provide library, information and bibliography services in accordance with the needs and requests of students, candidates, undergraduates, postgraduates, PH.D students, scientific workers, professor and teacher staff and university’s readers from other categories
2) to establish library holdings that is consistent with the profile of the university and the information needs of readers; in addition to the traditional printed materials, to make a transition to new information technology; and alongside nurturing information culture, to teach the readers the ability to use information-bibliographic equipment and new information technology.
The Scientific library of SSU arranges the book holdings in accordance with the specialties.
The Academic library helps the readers to use its book collections more efficiently, and provides professor and teacher staff, postgraduate students with textbooks, manuals, methodical guidelines, journals and their electronic versions.
The total area of the library is 508 m2 and it has 15 employees.
Amrahova Naila Naghi gizi has been the head of the library since 2004. She also led the library from 1997 till 2001.
1. There are 4 departments of the academic library:
1. Acquisition and cataloguing department
2. Service department - (subscription and reading room)
3. Information and bibliography department
4. Fiction department
2. The personnel of the library:
1. Acquisition and cataloguing department – Huseynova Mehriban-department head, Aliyeva Sevinj-librarian;
2. Information and bibliography department – Abdurrahmanova Ragsana – department head, Novruzova Nazire-librarian;
3. Service department (subscription section) – Isgandarova Narmina-senior librarian, Ramazanova Ulker- bibliographer, reading room-Aliyeva Khatira-chief librarian, Suleymanova Sevda – senior librarian, Mirzayeva Sabiga – librarian;
4. Fiction department – Mammadova Sevinj-department head, Aghakishiyeva Tahmina – librarian.
Service for readers in electron library – Rzayeva Shahla-librarian; scanning books-Jalilova Sevinj – senior bibliographer, Mammadova Turan-librarian.
3. Holdings of the academic library:
General collection-155002 Academic literature-33439
Books-122752 Educational literature-81693
Autoabstract-1643 Socio-political literature-8794
Masters’ dissertations-991 Foreign literature-2613
Methodical instructions-9281 Azerbaijani literature - 75587
Russian literature - 79115
“Electronic library” operates in the Scientific library which is equipped with modern computer equipment and connected to internet.
Literature on 4895 titles has been placed in the database of the “E-library”. In addition, electronic versions of “the texts of the lections” sent by other departments of the university are placed in the computers and provided for the use of students.