Department of Literature of Azerbaijan and foreign countries
The department of Literature of Azerbaijan and foreign countries was established in June 2001 on the basis of humanitarian sciences department. During that period docent Vagif Allahverdiyev worked as a head of the department. In 2003, the department was called Modern Azerbaijani literature; docent Ragub Shahmaroglu Karimov, then docent Yusif Yusubali oglu Aslanov led the department. From 2005 docent Avtandil Israfil oglu Mammadov led the department and it was called Literature of Azerbaijan.
According to the decision of SSU Scientific Board dated 28.02.2009 (protocol №6), department of Azerbaijani literature joined to department of Literature of foreign countries and was called Literature of Azerbaijan and foreign countries. On March 31, 2017, 7 employees of the Department of Teaching methodology of Azerbaijani language and literature were transferred to the Department with its academic course load. At present Professor A.I.Mammadov is leading the Department.
Professor-teacher staff of the Department uses modern technology in teaching process and tries to increase education quality by holding lectures and seminars in electronic form via “smart boards” and projectors.
At the present, 2 professors, 6 docents, 6 senior lecturers (4 of them are PhD), 1 PhD in philology, 6 lecturers are working at the department. Teaching-assistant staff consists of 3 persons.
Names and positions of department personnel:
1. Mammadov Avtandil Israfil – head of the department, professor
2. Huseynova Arzu Huseyn – docent
3. Mammadova Tora Kamal – docent
4. Aliyeva Afiga Ali – s/lecturer, PhD in philology
5. Zeynalli Gunel Fazil – lecturer
6. Jabarova Madina Agakerim- lecturer
7. Jumanov Dayanat Almaz – docent
8. Valiyeva Ilaha Khaladdin - PhD in philology, teacher
9. Rafiyeva Afat Ilyas – s/lecturer
10. Gafarova Zohra Zahid – s/lecturer
11. Mammadova Samira Khagani - docent
12. Dadashov Ilham Minajat – s/lecturer
13. Aliyev Rafig Yusif – part-time professor
14. Hamzayeva Sevinj Sayyad – part-time docent
15. Iskandarov Balakishi Atakishi – part-time lecturer
16. Gurbanov Nail Mahabbat - part-time docent
17. Mammadova Elnara Elkhan–part-time s/lecturer
18. Ahmadov Gara Huseyn - part-time s/lecturer
19. Hashimova Elmira Mail – senior lab.assistant
20. Ismayilova Afsana Shamsaddin - senior lab.assistant
21. Nagizade Sakina Elmar – senior lab.assistant
Cadre preparation is provided in three levels of education. Now, 1 doctoral student and 2 dissertation students in major of “Azerbaijani literature, as well as, 1 doctoral student and one dissertation student in majors of “World literature”, 1 docent “World literature”, 2 docent “Azerbaijani Literature” are conducting scientific research work on the program of doctor of sciences at the department. Eight person defended dissertation of doctor of philosophy among the department employees, dissertation and doctoral students in recent 5 years.
Subjects taught at the department:
1. Azerbaijani oral folk literature
2. Oral folk literature
3. History of Azerbaijani literature (stages from ancient times to modern times)
4. World literature (stages from ancient times to modern times)
6. Modern literary process and literary criticism
7. Literature of Turkic peoples
8. Introduction to literary studies
9. Literary theory
10. Tasavvuf literature
11. History of the country"s literature
12. Azerbaijani epics
13. All-Turkish epics
14. Emigration literature
15. Children"s literature
16. Divan literature
17. Children"s folklore
18. Modern children"s poetry
19. Fairy tale genre in written literature
20. Literature teaching methodology
21. Actual problems of literature teaching methodology
22. Technology and its teaching methodology
23. Art and its teaching methodology
24. "Molla Nasreddin" literary school
Specialty of Azerbaijani literature
1. Stages of Azerbaijani literary criticism
2. Azerbaijani satirical literature
3. Metres in Azerbaijani poems
4. Azerbaijani renaissance literature
5. Azerbaijani tasavvuf literature
6. South Azerbaijan literature
7. History and methodology of Azerbaijan literature studies
8. Romantic literature
9. Turkic literature
10. Azerbaijani mythology
11. Azerbaijan love epics
12. Modern problems of Azerbaijani literature studies
13. Modern Azerbaijani dramaturgy
14. Research methods
Specialty of literary criticism (literature of Turkic nations)
1. Kazakh literature
2. Kyrgyz literature
3. History of Turkism in Turkic nations’ literature
4. Turkic mythology in Turkic nations’ literature
5. Classical Turkmen literature
6. Art of ashug in Turkic nations’ literature
7. Turkey literature of republic period
8. Human and society in Turkic nations’ literature
9. Sufism in Turkic nations’ literature
10. Modern problems of Turkic nations’ literature studies
11. History and methodology of Turkic nations’ literature studies
12. Literary relationships between Azerbaijan and Turkey
13. Tatar-Bashkir literature
14. Research methods
Specialty of literature studies (literature of European countries)
1. Literary relations
2. Lyric poetry in European literature (East-West)
3. Tale genre in European written literature
4. Genres of ancient world literature
5. Eastern matters in Western literature of medieval and renaissance period
6. History and methodology of European literature studies
7. Modern problems of European literature studies
8. Literary currents in European countries literature
9. The latest period of European countries literature –Postmodernism
10. Artistic translation problems
11. European epics
12. Literary process in Western Europe in the late 19th and early 20th centuries
13. Arud metre
14. Research methods
15. History faculty – Folklore
Scientific direction of the department and the title of its scientific work: 5716.01 – Specificity of development features and historical and cultural dynamics of Azerbaijani literature. Scientific-theoretical views in history of literary-aesthetic ideas of Azerbaijan. New directions of creation. Folklore and written literature.
In 2018, the department held an international conference on "The role of fiction in intercultural dialogue". Employees of the department regularly participate in international scientific symposia and conferences held in foreign countries and in the republic.
In recent years, more than 120 scientific articles and theses, including 18 scientific articles ( 2 publications with an impact factor) have been published in foreign journals.
Also, in recent years, textbooks,tutorial aids, methodological textbooks and monographs of the employees of the department have been published: "Mythology", "Azerbaijani Mythology" textbooks (co-authored with associate professor Dayanat Jumanov) by prof. Avtandil Mammadov, "Literary Theory" by prof. Muhammedali Mustafayev, "Musical world of Nizami" by doc. Afag Ganiyeva, "Research methods" by PhD. in philology,senior lecturer Tore Mammadova, Azerbaijani renaissance literature" by PhD. in philology, senior lecturer Ilaha Valiyeva, "Literary trends in the literature of European countries" (jointly with associate professor O. Hajiyev) by PhD. in philology,senior lecturer Rovshan Mammadov,"The theme of separated homeland in the 20th century Azerbaijani literature" by doc. Arzu Huseynova.
So far, more than 80 students have received a master"s degree in Azerbaijani literature and literary studies (literature of Turkic peoples), literary studies (literature of European countries). There are 10 Turkish citizens among them. Currently, 2 master"s students are studying Azerbaijani literature, and 1 master"s student is studying Literature (Literature of European countries) in the department.
A. Agbaba won the "Best textbook and tutorial aids" nomination held at SSU for his textbook "Mythology" and was awarded the corresponding diploma and cash prize.
Employees of the department actively participate in the scientific and educational, social and cultural life of the university, as well as our republic. Doc. S.S. Hamzayeva is a member of the FD 2.24 Dissertation Council established under the SSU to discuss PhD dissertations in philology. Doc. T.K. Mammadova, scientific secretary of this council"s scientific seminar on the specialty 5716.01 - Azerbaijani literature, prof. R. Y. Aliyev, doc. A.H. Huseynova, doc. S.K. Mammadova are the members of the Dissertation Council. Prof. R. Y. Aliyev has been a member of the Dissertation Council at the Institute of Literature named after N. Ganjavi of ANAS for many years. Currently, he was a member of the Dissertation Council at the Institute of Folklore of ANAS. Prof. A.I. Mammadov was a member of one-time Dissertation councils established under the Institute of Folklore and Oriental Studies named after Z. Bunyadov of ANAS.
In the last five years, 2 of the employees of the department have received doctor of sciences, 3 of the dissertation and doctoral students have defended their doctoral dissertations, and 2 have received the certificate of associate professor. 3 people are about to defend their doctoral dissertations in the field of Azerbaijani literature. Rovshan Mammadov, Ph.D. in Philology, has been working as an associate professor at Bulent Ecevit University for almost four years as part of the "Movlana" exchange program. R. Mammadov represents Azerbaijani literature in Turkey. His textbook "Azerbaijani children"s literature from the beginning to the present day" (co-authored with associate professor Gul Banu Duman) was published in Turkey.
2 senior laboratory assistants of the department are doctoral students of the Institute of Manuscripts named after M. Fuzuli.
Teaching Azerbaijani language and literature at the department; Azerbaijani language and literature, Preschool education; Bachelor"s training in elementary school teaching, foreign language teaching and other specialties; The programs of the subjects taught at the master"s training levels in Azerbaijan literature, Literary studies (literature of European countries) specializations have been published.
The department cooperates scientific relations with Baku State University, Institute of Folklore of ANAS, Institute of Manuscripts named after Fuzuli of ANAS, Institute of Literature named after Nizami of ANAS, Azerbaijan State Pedagogical University.